One of our core ambitions is to use Natural materials – we use this term because our community told us that this was important to them. Natural can mean a range of things to different people.
We translate this into the following long term goals:
- Fabrics: regenerative or organic, no synthetics, no plastics
- Hardware: no plastics
- Packaging: recycled, recyclable and compostable
Our short term goals for 2023 are to:
- Quantify spend on natural and non-natural materials
- Maintain a register of all non-natural materials
- Review eco-certification for non-natural materials
- Set goals for % spend on natural materials and plan for phasing out non-natural materials
Currently we are using Non-natural materials where we can’t source alternatives. For example, pannier clips are 100% recycled polyamide, 001 Jeans zip tape and all threads are 100% recycled polyester.
At the end of April 2023 we are using the following Natural materials:
- Cotton (including denim) fabric is certified organic (GOTS);
- Padding in 001 Bag is regenerative wool (in place of foam);
- Wax used for water resistance for 001 Bag is made from vegetable oils (in place of paraffin);
- Buttons are made with Corozo (in place of plastic);
- Packaging is recyclable and compostable;
- Greetings cards are 100% recycled FSC and recyclable or compostable.
For more detailed information on the materials used, click here.